- 1 How can the double bass be played?
- 2 Is the double bass easy to play?
- 3 Who is the best double bass player?
- 4 Is there a single bass?
- 5 Is violin harder than double bass?
- 6 Is Double Bass harder than cello?
- 7 Why do they call it a double bass?
- 8 How long does it take to learn the double bass?
- 9 What size double bass should I get?
- 10 Who is the richest bass player in the world?
- 11 What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
- 12 Who is the best bass player today?
How can the double bass be played?
In an orchestra, double bass players bow the strings with a wooden bow strung with horsehair, or pluck the strings with their fingers (plucking the strings is called pizzicato). In jazz the double bass is played pizzicato most of the time. However some jazz players use the bow to play melodies on the double bass.
Is the double bass easy to play?
The double – bass is not a difficult instrument to start on, although once you get up to Grade 4 or 5 and have to do a lot of “shifting” (i.e. moving your whole left hand up and down the fingerboard to obtain different combinations of notes instead of just your fingers) it’s just as hard as anything else.
Who is the best double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,479 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,240 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,342 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,904 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,225 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,744 listeners.
Is there a single bass?
There is no single bass. The cello was the primary bass instrument, and the double bass is called that because it’s about twice the size (though it’s actual shape takes cues from both the violin and viol families). Even when tuned the same its range is about an octave below the cello.
Is violin harder than double bass?
Double bass is harder if you try to put it under your chin. Violin is harder if you try to stand it upright and bow from the side. Played in their normal ways, however, both are equally difficult to master completely. The bass, especially played pizzicato, is easier to play at a level adequate for many kinds of music.
Is Double Bass harder than cello?
The repertoire for cello is much larger, and the technique for cello runs much deeper than that of the bass. So at a certain point, cello might be ” harder to learn” because the repertoire and technique are simply more difficult, but that isn’t really indicative of the inherent difficulty of the instruments.
Why do they call it a double bass?
The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra. The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
How long does it take to learn the double bass?
If you practice enough I’d say you’d get used to moving around an upright and getting the right feel for it in about 6 weeks or 2 months. But like lowend said, get a teacher, it’ll make the transition much easier.
What size double bass should I get?
The standard size for adults is a ¾ double bass. A large double bass such as a ⅞ or 4/4 is very rare and not commonly used unless the person is very tall, 6.5′ + in height or they have unusually large hands. A general rule for children is to choose a bass one size smaller than usual violin size for age.
Who is the richest bass player in the world?
Top 10 Richest Bassists in the World
- John Paul Jones – $80 million.
- Flea – $110 million.
- John Deacon – $115 Million.
- Adam Clayton – $150 million.
- Roger Waters – $270 million.
- Gene Simmons – $300 million.
- Sting – $300 million.
- Paul McCartney – $1.2 billion.
What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
The difference between a bass guitar and a double bass is that the bass guitar is smaller, it’s held perpendicular to the player’s body, it’s often amplified via a bass amplifier, and it’s played with fingers or a pick. Double basses are larger, they’re stood upright, and they can be played with a bow.
Who is the best bass player today?
The 10 best bassists in the world right now
- Michael Manring.
- Victor Brandt, Dimmu Borgir.
- Suzi Quatro.
- Ryan Madora, sessions.
- Scott Reeder, session star.
- Lee Sklar, session legend.
- Jeff Ament, Pearl Jam.
- Cliff Williams, AC/DC.