- 1 How do you size a double bass?
- 2 How thick is the top layer of a double bass?
- 3 How long does it take to make an upright bass?
- 4 What size is a 3/4 double bass?
- 5 How tall do you have to be to play double bass?
- 6 What is the highest note a double bass can play?
- 7 Is there a single bass?
- 8 Who is the best double bass player?
- 9 What are upright basses made of?
How do you size a double bass?
A general rule for children is to choose a bass one size smaller than usual violin size for age. A smaller bass will have a shorter string length. So if the child’s hand is small, a smaller size bass would be a better fit. A smaller instrument is MUCH easier to play because of the shorter string length.
How thick is the top layer of a double bass?
The thickest part is under the G foot, above the post between 7-10mm. The chest area is then slightly thinner 6-9mm, then it becomes thinner in the upper and lower bouts 4-7mm.
How long does it take to make an upright bass?
Learning the Craft The process of turning raw wood into a finished double bass typically takes Lloyd six weeks. This puts him on track to make around six custom basses a year with a backlog of four months worth of work.
What size is a 3/4 double bass?
|Size||Overall Lenght A||Body Lenght B|
|(Standard sizes in inches)|
How tall do you have to be to play double bass?
You have to be as tall as the bass you ‘ re playing (unless you ‘ re playing upright, in which case, you must be 5’2).
What is the highest note a double bass can play?
The highest note for the bass guitar or double bass is typically considered G4 at 392 Hz. The double bass is the only string instrument in the standard symphony orchestra that is tuned to perfect fourths instead of perfect fifths.
Is there a single bass?
There is no single bass. The cello was the primary bass instrument, and the double bass is called that because it’s about twice the size (though it’s actual shape takes cues from both the violin and viol families). Even when tuned the same its range is about an octave below the cello.
Who is the best double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,479 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,240 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,342 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,904 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,225 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,744 listeners.
What are upright basses made of?
The materials most often used in double bass construction for fully carved basses (the type used by professional orchestra bassists and soloists) are maple (back, neck, ribs), spruce (top), and ebony (fingerboard, tailpiece). The tailpiece may be made from other types of wood or non-wood materials.