- 1 What do you call people who play the bass?
- 2 Who is the most famous double bass player?
- 3 Why is a double bass called that?
- 4 Why is it called an Octobass?
- 5 Do guitarists actually not like bass players?
- 6 Is Bass cooler than guitar?
- 7 Who is the best bass player today?
- 8 Can a double bass have 5 strings?
- 9 Who is the best upright bass player?
- 10 Is there a difference between a bass and a double bass?
- 11 What is an interesting fact about the double bass?
- 12 Is a bass fiddle the same as a double bass?
- 13 What is the deepest instrument in the world?
- 14 What is the biggest string instrument in the world?
- 15 What’s bigger than a bass?
What do you call people who play the bass?
bassist. noun. someone who plays a bass guitar or a double bass.
Who is the most famous double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,186 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,214 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,331 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,861 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,215 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,738 listeners.
Why is a double bass called that?
The instrument’s standard English name, double bass may be derived from the size of the double size, since it is approximately twice as large as the cello, or because the double bass was originally used to double the cello part an octave lower.
Why is it called an Octobass?
It’s called the octobass (a.k.a. octobasse) and was built in 1850 by French instrument maker Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume. It is tuned two octaves below a cello and stands a 12-feet tall. The player must stand on a stool and operate hand and foot-activated levers and pedals to change the pitch.
Do guitarists actually not like bass players?
Some guitarists show great disrespect towards the bass player and will do things such as turning down the bass amp without asking so they can hear the guitar louder. For them, mediocre bass players might be looked down upon just like for any other instrument, but real musicians generally appreciate a good bassist.
Is Bass cooler than guitar?
Generally speaking the lead guitarist will get more attention that the rest of the musicians. Bass isn’t cooler. The bass player is usually more in the background than the guitarist.
Who is the best bass player today?
The 10 best bassists in the world right now
- Michael Manring.
- Victor Brandt, Dimmu Borgir.
- Suzi Quatro.
- Ryan Madora, sessions.
- Scott Reeder, session star.
- Lee Sklar, session legend.
- Jeff Ament, Pearl Jam.
- Cliff Williams, AC/DC.
Can a double bass have 5 strings?
5 String Double Basses Double basses have existed in three, four, and five string configurations at different times and places. Paul Brun’s new history of the bass deals with the matter extensively.
Who is the best upright bass player?
- 8: Charles Mingus.
- 7: Paul Chambers.
- 6: Jimmy Blanton.
- 5: Oscar Pettiford.
- 4: Ray Brown.
- 3: Ron Carter.
- 2: Stanley Clarke.
- 1: Jaco Pastorius. Topping our list of the 50 best jazz bassists is the mighty and inimitable Jaco Pastorius, who rose to fame in the 70s fusion supergroup Weather Report.
Is there a difference between a bass and a double bass?
The difference between a bass guitar and a double bass is that the bass guitar is smaller, it’s held perpendicular to the player’s body, it’s often amplified via a bass amplifier, and it’s played with fingers or a pick. Double basses are larger, they’re stood upright, and they can be played with a bow.
What is an interesting fact about the double bass?
1. The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra. 2. The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
Is a bass fiddle the same as a double bass?
Double bass, also called contrabass, string bass, bass, bass viol, bass fiddle, or bull fiddle, French contrebasse, German Kontrabass, stringed musical instrument, the lowest-pitched member of the violin family, sounding an octave lower than the cello.
What is the deepest instrument in the world?
THE GREAT STALACPIPE ORGAN The Great Stalacpipe Organ is billed as the world’s largest musical instrument, located deep underground in Luray Caverns in Virginia.
What is the biggest string instrument in the world?
The longest stringed instrument is the ‘ Earth Harp’, at a length of 291.71 m (957 ft 0.6 in), achieved by inventor William Close and The Event Company Staging Connections PTE Ltd (Singapore) as measured in Singapore, on 25 October 2014. The harp is played by rubbing resin-covered gloves upon its strings.
What’s bigger than a bass?
The violin is the smallest, followed by the viola, which is only slightly bigger and looks similar. The cello is significantly larger than the first two and the bass is the largest.