- 1 What is Double Bass called?
- 2 Why is it called a contrabass?
- 3 What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
- 4 What makes a double bass?
- 5 What is an interesting fact about the double bass?
- 6 Is there a single bass?
- 7 What is a 3/4 double bass?
- 8 How loud is a double bass?
- 9 What is the highest note on a double bass?
- 10 How much does a good double bass cost?
- 11 Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
- 12 How much does a good upright bass cost?
- 13 Is Double Bass difficult?
- 14 Who is the best double bass player?
- 15 How big is a half size double bass?
What is Double Bass called?
Double bass, also called contrabass, string bass, bass, bass viol, bass fiddle, or bull fiddle, French contrebasse, German Kontrabass, stringed musical instrument, the lowest-pitched member of the violin family, sounding an octave lower than the cello.
Why is it called a contrabass?
The terms for the instrument among classical performers are contrabass (which comes from the instrument’s Italian name, contrabbasso), string bass (to distinguish it from brass bass instruments in a concert band, such as tubas), or simply bass.
What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
The difference between a bass guitar and a double bass is that the bass guitar is smaller, it’s held perpendicular to the player’s body, it’s often amplified via a bass amplifier, and it’s played with fingers or a pick. Double basses are larger, they’re stood upright, and they can be played with a bow.
What makes a double bass?
The double bass is usually made from wood. Double basses have a hollow wooden body which helps to amplify the sounds of the instrument. A wooden neck is attached to the body, and a flat wooded fingerboard is glued onto the neck. It usually has four metal strings which are strung with tension on the neck.
What is an interesting fact about the double bass?
1. The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra. 2. The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
Is there a single bass?
There is no single bass. The cello was the primary bass instrument, and the double bass is called that because it’s about twice the size (though it’s actual shape takes cues from both the violin and viol families). Even when tuned the same its range is about an octave below the cello.
What is a 3/4 double bass?
3/4 size is recognized as a regular size bass. There are also double basses that have 5 strings with a low C to make it easier for the player to play notes lower than the low E.
How loud is a double bass?
Results, at the average note, were as follows: violin, 85.9 db: viola, 79.5 db: cello, 76.52 db: double bass, 75.97 db.
What is the highest note on a double bass?
The highest note for the bass guitar or double bass is typically considered G4 at 392 Hz. The double bass is the only string instrument in the standard symphony orchestra that is tuned to perfect fourths instead of perfect fifths.
How much does a good double bass cost?
Hybrid double basses are ideal for those looking to spend less than $3000 on a double bass. Fully carved double basses are the most expensive, costing anywhere from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands.
Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
Nope. They are written an octave higher, but the actual pitch of the guitar is two octaves higher that that of bass. Scale length does not have anything to do with this. And bass guitar and double bass have the same pitch, and are notated the same way.
How much does a good upright bass cost?
In the United States I’d say the current price of a reasonable beginner upright bass bought new would be around $1500USD. Less than that and you risk getting a “ bass shaped object”.
Is Double Bass difficult?
The double bass is a tough master – demanding strength, stamina and proper technique from its player. As the root of the orchestra, musical and rhythmic accuracy are imperative to the success of the whole – requiring plenty of practice and repetition.
Who is the best double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,479 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,240 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,342 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,904 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,225 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,744 listeners.
How big is a half size double bass?
|Size||Overall Lenght A||Bridge to Back F|
|(Standard sizes in inches)|