- 1 How do you notate a double bass?
- 2 What notes can a double bass play?
- 3 What is the highest note on a double bass?
- 4 What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
- 5 What is the range of a double bass?
- 6 How do you write harmonics on bass?
- 7 What is a 3/4 double bass?
- 8 How high can the double bass play?
- 9 Is there a single bass?
- 10 Why do they call it a double bass?
- 11 Who is the best double bass player?
- 12 How much does a good double bass cost?
- 13 How much does a good upright bass cost?
- 14 Can a bassist play double bass?
- 15 Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
How do you notate a double bass?
Pizzicato with the left hand is indicated by a “+” above the note. Two notes are played as a tremolo on the same string as follows: the finger in the lower position fingers the string and keeps it pressed down while the other finger quickly and repeatedly stops and releases a higher note.
What notes can a double bass play?
While the double bass is nearly identical in construction to other violin family instruments, it also embodies features found in the older viol family. The notes of the open strings are E1, A1, D2, and G2, the same as an acoustic or electric bass guitar.
What is the highest note on a double bass?
The highest note for the bass guitar or double bass is typically considered G4 at 392 Hz. The double bass is the only string instrument in the standard symphony orchestra that is tuned to perfect fourths instead of perfect fifths.
What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
The difference between a bass guitar and a double bass is that the bass guitar is smaller, it’s held perpendicular to the player’s body, it’s often amplified via a bass amplifier, and it’s played with fingers or a pick. Double basses are larger, they’re stood upright, and they can be played with a bow.
What is the range of a double bass?
Range. The bass sounds an octave lower than written, and its strings are tuned in fourths, sounding as follows: G2, D2, A1, E1. The addition of a low C extension can take the lowest string down to C1.
How do you write harmonics on bass?
How to Play and Use Harmonics on a Bass Guitar
- Lightly touch the desired string at the 12th, 7th, or 5th fret with one of the fingers on your left hand (the middle or index finger is best, but any will do). Don’t press the string to the fret.
- When the harmonic rings out, you can remove your left-hand finger from the string.
What is a 3/4 double bass?
3/4 size is recognized as a regular size bass. There are also double basses that have 5 strings with a low C to make it easier for the player to play notes lower than the low E.
How high can the double bass play?
Modern double basses are usually tuned (low to high ) E-A-D-G. The lowest string is tuned to E (the same pitch as the lowest E on a modern piano, approx 41 Hz), nearly 3 octaves below middle C ); and the highest string is tuned to G, an octave and a fourth below middle C (approx 98 Hz).
Is there a single bass?
There is no single bass. The cello was the primary bass instrument, and the double bass is called that because it’s about twice the size (though it’s actual shape takes cues from both the violin and viol families). Even when tuned the same its range is about an octave below the cello.
Why do they call it a double bass?
The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra. The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
Who is the best double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,479 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,240 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,342 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,904 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,225 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,744 listeners.
How much does a good double bass cost?
Hybrid double basses are ideal for those looking to spend less than $3000 on a double bass. Fully carved double basses are the most expensive, costing anywhere from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands.
How much does a good upright bass cost?
In the United States I’d say the current price of a reasonable beginner upright bass bought new would be around $1500USD. Less than that and you risk getting a “ bass shaped object”.
Can a bassist play double bass?
In answer to your question, yes you can probably play double bass but not in a way that a classically trained bassist would find attractive. If however, you just wish to jam with it, have fun.
Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
Nope. They are written an octave higher, but the actual pitch of the guitar is two octaves higher that that of bass. Scale length does not have anything to do with this. And bass guitar and double bass have the same pitch, and are notated the same way.