- 1 How much does a good double bass cost?
- 2 How do I choose a double bass?
- 3 Who created the double bass?
- 4 What is the difference between a double bass and a contrabass?
- 5 How much is a beginner double bass?
- 6 How much does a decent bass cost?
- 7 What is the most expensive double bass?
- 8 What is the height of a double bass?
- 9 What is the best upright bass?
- 10 Who is the best double bass player?
- 11 Why do they call it a double bass?
- 12 How old is the double bass?
- 13 What is lower than a double bass?
- 14 Should I play cello or double bass?
- 15 Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
How much does a good double bass cost?
Hybrid double basses are ideal for those looking to spend less than $3000 on a double bass. Fully carved double basses are the most expensive, costing anywhere from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands.
How do I choose a double bass?
A general rule for children is to choose a bass one size smaller than usual violin size for age. A smaller bass will have a shorter string length. So if the child’s hand is small, a smaller size bass would be a better fit. A smaller instrument is MUCH easier to play because of the shorter string length.
Who created the double bass?
In 1542, Silvestro Ganassi developed a bass viola da gamba in Venice, which is often regarded as the “progenitor” of the double – bass. Its sloping shoulders, frets and six strings tuned mainly to fourths (D2, G2, C3, E3, A3, D4) indicate that low bowed instruments emerged originally from the gamba family.
What is the difference between a double bass and a contrabass?
While both cover the same acoustic range, the double bass has more punch and is able to “speak” more clearly in higher volume situations. It is a 4 string instrument and has become the standard for orchestral music as well as jazz.
How much is a beginner double bass?
Price range: Double basses are relatively expensive and your budget will determine the types of basses you should be considering. The minimum budget for a new instrument, properly set up by a luthier, is approximately 1500 USD.
How much does a decent bass cost?
A new bass guitar can cost anywhere from $200 to $5000 X Research source depending on the brand, quality, and finish. Used basses tend to range from $100 to $1500 and are often just as good, although pricing and selection will vary from one locale to another.
What is the most expensive double bass?
This Thomas Hardie from 1825 is currently on sale for $95,000 USD, down from $115,000 USD. Vintage orchestral instruments can be quite expensive.
What is the height of a double bass?
The double bass stands around 180 cm (6 feet) from scroll to endpin. However, other sizes are available, such as a 1⁄2 or 3⁄4, which serve to accommodate a player’s height and hand size.
What is the best upright bass?
Best Upright Basses
- Palatino. The Billy Bass. Top Quality.
- Cremona. SB-3 Premier Upright Bass 3/4 Size. Best for Beginners.
- M. Ravel. 4-String Acoustic Upright Bass.
- Cremona. SB-2 Premier Novice Upright Bass 3/4 Size. Customer Favorite.
- Palatino. VE-500-BK Electric Upright Bass. Lightweight Yet Solid.
Who is the best double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,479 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,240 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,342 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,904 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,225 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,744 listeners.
Why do they call it a double bass?
The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra. The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
How old is the double bass?
Forms of the double bass date from the late 15th or early 16th century and were in common use by the 18th century. Ludwig van Beethoven and later composers gave the bass increased importance in the symphony orchestra.
What is lower than a double bass?
Contrabass (from Italian: contrabbasso) refers to several musical instruments of very low pitch—generally one octave below bass register instruments.
Should I play cello or double bass?
The cello, known as an instrument with a tenor voice, has a deeper and richer tone than both the violin and the viola. Due to its extra octave range, the double bass is capable of producing a deeper sound that the cello is just not capable of producing.
Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
Nope. They are written an octave higher, but the actual pitch of the guitar is two octaves higher that that of bass. Scale length does not have anything to do with this. And bass guitar and double bass have the same pitch, and are notated the same way.