- 1 How is the double bass played?
- 2 What is the purpose of the double bass?
- 3 Is double bass hard to play?
- 4 What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
- 5 Who is the best double bass player?
- 6 When did double bass become popular?
- 7 What is an interesting fact about the double bass?
- 8 What is a 3/4 double bass?
- 9 What is the range of a double bass?
- 10 Is Double Bass harder than violin?
- 11 How long does it take to master double bass?
- 12 Can you teach double bass?
- 13 How much does a good double bass cost?
- 14 Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
- 15 How much does a good upright bass cost?
How is the double bass played?
The double bass is played with a bow (arco), or by plucking the strings (pizzicato), or via a variety of extended techniques. In orchestral repertoire and tango music, both arco and pizzicato are employed.
What is the purpose of the double bass?
The lowest of all string instruments, the double bass (pronounced “base,” not like the fish) is enormous, bigger around than the average human being. The instrument can play much lower than anyone can sing, and it provides the foundation for the orchestra’s sound.
Is double bass hard to play?
Playing the upright is difficult. It’s a physically demanding instrument that takes a long time to work your body, arms, and fingers into being able to play efficiently enough to avoid injuries.
What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
The difference between a bass guitar and a double bass is that the bass guitar is smaller, it’s held perpendicular to the player’s body, it’s often amplified via a bass amplifier, and it’s played with fingers or a pick. Double basses are larger, they’re stood upright, and they can be played with a bow.
Who is the best double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,479 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,240 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,342 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,904 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,225 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,744 listeners.
When did double bass become popular?
Forms of the double bass date from the late 15th or early 16th century and were in common use by the 18th century. Ludwig van Beethoven and later composers gave the bass increased importance in the symphony orchestra.
What is an interesting fact about the double bass?
1. The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra. 2. The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
What is a 3/4 double bass?
3/4 size is recognized as a regular size bass. There are also double basses that have 5 strings with a low C to make it easier for the player to play notes lower than the low E.
What is the range of a double bass?
Range. The bass sounds an octave lower than written, and its strings are tuned in fourths, sounding as follows: G2, D2, A1, E1. The addition of a low C extension can take the lowest string down to C1.
Is Double Bass harder than violin?
Double bass is harder if you try to put it under your chin. Violin is harder if you try to stand it upright and bow from the side. Played in their normal ways, however, both are equally difficult to master completely. The bass, especially played pizzicato, is easier to play at a level adequate for many kinds of music.
How long does it take to master double bass?
If you practice enough I’d say you’d get used to moving around an upright and getting the right feel for it in about 6 weeks or 2 months. But like lowend said, get a teacher, it’ll make the transition much easier.
Can you teach double bass?
You can definitely learn to play on your own, but you have to be very aware that you don’t develop bad playing habits that might be hard to break out of. But just get a couple of books for double bass, and observe videos of other players that you can imitate, and it will go just fine.
How much does a good double bass cost?
Hybrid double basses are ideal for those looking to spend less than $3000 on a double bass. Fully carved double basses are the most expensive, costing anywhere from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands.
Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
Nope. They are written an octave higher, but the actual pitch of the guitar is two octaves higher that that of bass. Scale length does not have anything to do with this. And bass guitar and double bass have the same pitch, and are notated the same way.
How much does a good upright bass cost?
In the United States I’d say the current price of a reasonable beginner upright bass bought new would be around $1500USD. Less than that and you risk getting a “ bass shaped object”.