- 1 What instruments are in double bass?
- 2 What strings does a double bass have?
- 3 What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
- 4 Why do they call it a double bass?
- 5 Is there a single bass?
- 6 What is a 3/4 double bass?
- 7 What is the highest note a double bass can play?
- 8 Who is the best double bass player?
- 9 What are the best double bass strings?
- 10 How much does a good double bass cost?
- 11 How much does a good upright bass cost?
- 12 Can a bassist play double bass?
- 13 What is the role of a double bass?
- 14 How loud is a double bass?
- 15 How much is a bass?
What instruments are in double bass?
|Other names||Bass, upright bass, string bass, acoustic bass, acoustic string bass, contrabass, contrabass viol, bass viol, bass violin, standup bass, bull fiddle, doghouse bass, and bass fiddle|
|Classification||String instrument (bowed or plucked)|
What strings does a double bass have?
A double bass is usually strung with four heavy strings pitched E1–A1–D–G; a fifth string is occasionally added—in jazz band basses, at the top of the register to allow high notes to be played more easily; in symphony orchestra basses, below the E string, tuned to C.
What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
The difference between a bass guitar and a double bass is that the bass guitar is smaller, it’s held perpendicular to the player’s body, it’s often amplified via a bass amplifier, and it’s played with fingers or a pick. Double basses are larger, they’re stood upright, and they can be played with a bow.
Why do they call it a double bass?
The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra. The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
Is there a single bass?
There is no single bass. The cello was the primary bass instrument, and the double bass is called that because it’s about twice the size (though it’s actual shape takes cues from both the violin and viol families). Even when tuned the same its range is about an octave below the cello.
What is a 3/4 double bass?
3/4 size is recognized as a regular size bass. There are also double basses that have 5 strings with a low C to make it easier for the player to play notes lower than the low E.
What is the highest note a double bass can play?
The highest note for the bass guitar or double bass is typically considered G4 at 392 Hz. The double bass is the only string instrument in the standard symphony orchestra that is tuned to perfect fourths instead of perfect fifths.
Who is the best double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,479 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,240 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,342 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,904 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,225 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,744 listeners.
What are the best double bass strings?
9 Best Double Bass String Reviews and the Best Double Bass String Brands
- Pirastro Obligato Upright Double Bass Strings.
- D’Addario Bass String Helicore Hybrid Medium Tension String.
- Pirastro Bass Evah Pirazzi String.
- Thomastik Spirocore Upright Double Bass String set.
- Thomastik 3885.OW Infield Custom.
How much does a good double bass cost?
Hybrid double basses are ideal for those looking to spend less than $3000 on a double bass. Fully carved double basses are the most expensive, costing anywhere from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands.
How much does a good upright bass cost?
In the United States I’d say the current price of a reasonable beginner upright bass bought new would be around $1500USD. Less than that and you risk getting a “ bass shaped object”.
Can a bassist play double bass?
In answer to your question, yes you can probably play double bass but not in a way that a classically trained bassist would find attractive. If however, you just wish to jam with it, have fun.
What is the role of a double bass?
The double bass is the biggest string instrument in the orchestra. It emits low and muted tones, sometimes rhythmic, sometimes long, but almost always incredibly powerful. The double bass part often forms a stable foundation over which the rest of the orchestra’s notes can resound.
How loud is a double bass?
Results, at the average note, were as follows: violin, 85.9 db: viola, 79.5 db: cello, 76.52 db: double bass, 75.97 db.
How much is a bass?
A new bass guitar can cost anywhere from $200 to $5000 X Research source depending on the brand, quality, and finish. Used basses tend to range from $100 to $1500 and are often just as good, although pricing and selection will vary from one locale to another.