- 1 What are the open strings on a double bass?
- 2 What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
- 3 What are the best double bass strings?
- 4 What makes a double bass?
- 5 What is a 3/4 double bass?
- 6 What is the highest note a double bass can play?
- 7 How much does a good double bass cost?
- 8 Can a bassist play double bass?
- 9 Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
- 10 How long do upright bass strings last?
- 11 What are the best upright bass strings?
- 12 What strings did Ray Brown use?
- 13 Is Double Bass difficult?
- 14 What is the most expensive double bass?
- 15 Who is the best double bass player?
What are the open strings on a double bass?
While the double bass is nearly identical in construction to other violin family instruments, it also embodies features found in the older viol family. The notes of the open strings are E1, A1, D2, and G2, the same as an acoustic or electric bass guitar.
What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
The difference between a bass guitar and a double bass is that the bass guitar is smaller, it’s held perpendicular to the player’s body, it’s often amplified via a bass amplifier, and it’s played with fingers or a pick. Double basses are larger, they’re stood upright, and they can be played with a bow.
What are the best double bass strings?
9 Best Double Bass String Reviews and the Best Double Bass String Brands
- Pirastro Obligato Upright Double Bass Strings.
- D’Addario Bass String Helicore Hybrid Medium Tension String.
- Pirastro Bass Evah Pirazzi String.
- Thomastik Spirocore Upright Double Bass String set.
- Thomastik 3885.OW Infield Custom.
What makes a double bass?
The double bass is usually made from wood. Double basses have a hollow wooden body which helps to amplify the sounds of the instrument. A wooden neck is attached to the body, and a flat wooded fingerboard is glued onto the neck. It usually has four metal strings which are strung with tension on the neck.
What is a 3/4 double bass?
3/4 size is recognized as a regular size bass. There are also double basses that have 5 strings with a low C to make it easier for the player to play notes lower than the low E.
What is the highest note a double bass can play?
The highest note for the bass guitar or double bass is typically considered G4 at 392 Hz. The double bass is the only string instrument in the standard symphony orchestra that is tuned to perfect fourths instead of perfect fifths.
How much does a good double bass cost?
Hybrid double basses are ideal for those looking to spend less than $3000 on a double bass. Fully carved double basses are the most expensive, costing anywhere from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands.
Can a bassist play double bass?
In answer to your question, yes you can probably play double bass but not in a way that a classically trained bassist would find attractive. If however, you just wish to jam with it, have fun.
Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
Nope. They are written an octave higher, but the actual pitch of the guitar is two octaves higher that that of bass. Scale length does not have anything to do with this. And bass guitar and double bass have the same pitch, and are notated the same way.
How long do upright bass strings last?
You don’t want any nasties affecting you or your instrument. For the double bassists: You can breathe easily: your strings don’t need replacing nearly as often as your counterparts do. Some string manufacturers recommend every 1-2 years, but there are bassists out there that swear to changing every 4-5 years.
What are the best upright bass strings?
Best Double Bass Strings
|1. Pirastro Permanent||Orchestra||$252.99|
|2. Pirastro Evah Pirazzi||Jazz/Bluegrass||$239.94|
|3. Pirastro Flexocor Deluxe||Orchestra||$286.71|
|4. Thomastik “Spirocore Weich”||Jazz/Orchestra||$252.47|
What strings did Ray Brown use?
On this bass, I have rope–cored steel strings. The Italian bass gives in best results with a gut G and D and a metal A and E. Lots of orchestral players use all metal strings: they’re good for bowing.
Is Double Bass difficult?
The double bass is a tough master – demanding strength, stamina and proper technique from its player. As the root of the orchestra, musical and rhythmic accuracy are imperative to the success of the whole – requiring plenty of practice and repetition.
What is the most expensive double bass?
This Thomas Hardie from 1825 is currently on sale for $95,000 USD, down from $115,000 USD. Vintage orchestral instruments can be quite expensive.
Who is the best double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,479 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,240 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,342 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,904 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,225 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,744 listeners.