- 1 Why is the double bass called a double bass?
- 2 What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
- 3 What is a double bass player called?
- 4 What does double bass mean?
- 5 What is an interesting fact about the double bass?
- 6 Who is the best double bass player?
- 7 How much does a good double bass cost?
- 8 Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
- 9 What is a 3/4 double bass?
- 10 Is Double Bass difficult?
- 11 Is a bass fiddle the same as a double bass?
- 12 What is the function of double bass?
- 13 How loud is a double bass?
- 14 Is there a single bass?
- 15 Is Bass an instrument?
Why is the double bass called a double bass?
The instrument’s standard English name, double bass may be derived from the size of the double size, since it is approximately twice as large as the cello, or because the double bass was originally used to double the cello part an octave lower.
What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
The difference between a bass guitar and a double bass is that the bass guitar is smaller, it’s held perpendicular to the player’s body, it’s often amplified via a bass amplifier, and it’s played with fingers or a pick. Double basses are larger, they’re stood upright, and they can be played with a bow.
What is a double bass player called?
A person who plays this instrument is called a ” bassist “, ” double bassist “, ” double bass player “, “contrabassist”, ” contrabass player ” or ” bass player “. The double bass is sometimes confusingly called the violone, bass violin or bass viol.
What does double bass mean?
: the largest and lowest-pitched of the stringed instruments that is tuned in fourths.
What is an interesting fact about the double bass?
1. The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra. 2. The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
Who is the best double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,479 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,240 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,342 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,904 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,225 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,744 listeners.
How much does a good double bass cost?
Hybrid double basses are ideal for those looking to spend less than $3000 on a double bass. Fully carved double basses are the most expensive, costing anywhere from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands.
Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
Nope. They are written an octave higher, but the actual pitch of the guitar is two octaves higher that that of bass. Scale length does not have anything to do with this. And bass guitar and double bass have the same pitch, and are notated the same way.
What is a 3/4 double bass?
3/4 size is recognized as a regular size bass. There are also double basses that have 5 strings with a low C to make it easier for the player to play notes lower than the low E.
Is Double Bass difficult?
The double bass is a tough master – demanding strength, stamina and proper technique from its player. As the root of the orchestra, musical and rhythmic accuracy are imperative to the success of the whole – requiring plenty of practice and repetition.
Is a bass fiddle the same as a double bass?
Double bass, also called contrabass, string bass, bass, bass viol, bass fiddle, or bull fiddle, French contrebasse, German Kontrabass, stringed musical instrument, the lowest-pitched member of the violin family, sounding an octave lower than the cello.
What is the function of double bass?
The double bass is the biggest string instrument in the orchestra. It emits low and muted tones, sometimes rhythmic, sometimes long, but almost always incredibly powerful. The double bass part often forms a stable foundation over which the rest of the orchestra’s notes can resound.
How loud is a double bass?
Results, at the average note, were as follows: violin, 85.9 db: viola, 79.5 db: cello, 76.52 db: double bass, 75.97 db.
Is there a single bass?
There is no single bass. The cello was the primary bass instrument, and the double bass is called that because it’s about twice the size (though it’s actual shape takes cues from both the violin and viol families). Even when tuned the same its range is about an octave below the cello.
Is Bass an instrument?
Basses belong to different families of instruments and can cover a wide range of musical roles. Since producing low pitches usually requires a long air column or string, the string and wind bass instruments are usually the largest instruments in their families or instrument classes.