- 1 What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
- 2 What does double bass mean?
- 3 Is a double bass high or low?
- 4 What is the function of double bass?
- 5 How much does a good double bass cost?
- 6 How much does a good upright bass cost?
- 7 What is a double bass player called?
- 8 What is a 3/4 double bass?
- 9 When did double bass become popular?
- 10 Is Double Bass difficult?
- 11 What is the highest note a double bass can play?
- 12 What is the range of a double bass?
- 13 What is an interesting fact about the double bass?
- 14 Who is the best double bass player?
What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
The difference between a bass guitar and a double bass is that the bass guitar is smaller, it’s held perpendicular to the player’s body, it’s often amplified via a bass amplifier, and it’s played with fingers or a pick. Double basses are larger, they’re stood upright, and they can be played with a bow.
What does double bass mean?
: the largest and lowest-pitched of the stringed instruments that is tuned in fourths.
Is a double bass high or low?
Modern double basses are usually tuned ( low to high ) E-A-D-G. The lowest string is tuned to E (the same pitch as the lowest E on a modern piano, approx 41 Hz), nearly 3 octaves below middle C ); and the highest string is tuned to G, an octave and a fourth below middle C (approx 98 Hz).
What is the function of double bass?
The double bass is the biggest string instrument in the orchestra. It emits low and muted tones, sometimes rhythmic, sometimes long, but almost always incredibly powerful. The double bass part often forms a stable foundation over which the rest of the orchestra’s notes can resound.
How much does a good double bass cost?
Hybrid double basses are ideal for those looking to spend less than $3000 on a double bass. Fully carved double basses are the most expensive, costing anywhere from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands.
How much does a good upright bass cost?
In the United States I’d say the current price of a reasonable beginner upright bass bought new would be around $1500USD. Less than that and you risk getting a “ bass shaped object”.
What is a double bass player called?
A person who plays this instrument is called a ” bassist “, ” double bassist “, ” double bass player “, “contrabassist”, ” contrabass player ” or ” bass player “. The double bass is sometimes confusingly called the violone, bass violin or bass viol.
What is a 3/4 double bass?
3/4 size is recognized as a regular size bass. There are also double basses that have 5 strings with a low C to make it easier for the player to play notes lower than the low E.
When did double bass become popular?
Forms of the double bass date from the late 15th or early 16th century and were in common use by the 18th century. Ludwig van Beethoven and later composers gave the bass increased importance in the symphony orchestra.
Is Double Bass difficult?
The double bass is a tough master – demanding strength, stamina and proper technique from its player. As the root of the orchestra, musical and rhythmic accuracy are imperative to the success of the whole – requiring plenty of practice and repetition.
What is the highest note a double bass can play?
The highest note for the bass guitar or double bass is typically considered G4 at 392 Hz. The double bass is the only string instrument in the standard symphony orchestra that is tuned to perfect fourths instead of perfect fifths.
What is the range of a double bass?
Range. The bass sounds an octave lower than written, and its strings are tuned in fourths, sounding as follows: G2, D2, A1, E1. The addition of a low C extension can take the lowest string down to C1.
What is an interesting fact about the double bass?
1. The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra. 2. The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
Who is the best double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,479 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,240 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,342 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,904 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,225 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,744 listeners.