- 1 Why do they call it a double bass?
- 2 Who is the most famous double bass player?
- 3 What famous person plays the double bass?
- 4 What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
- 5 How much does a good double bass cost?
- 6 What is a double bass tuned to?
- 7 Who is the best bass player today?
- 8 Who is the best upright bass player?
- 9 Can a double bass have 5 strings?
- 10 Who is the best jazz bassist of all time?
- 11 Who plays a jazz bass?
- 12 Who made the double bass?
- 13 How much does a good upright bass cost?
- 14 Can a bassist play double bass?
- 15 Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
Why do they call it a double bass?
The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra. The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
Who is the most famous double bass player?
Double Bass Artists
- Charles Mingus. 767,186 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Marc Johnson. 49,214 listeners.
- Ray Brown. 38,331 listeners.
- Charlie Haden. 111,861 listeners.
- Edgar Meyer. 70,215 listeners.
- Upgrade Now.
- Paul Chambers. 46,738 listeners.
What famous person plays the double bass?
Historical double bassists such as Domenico Dragonetti (1763–1846) and Giovanni Bottesini (1821–1889) established a tradition for playing the instrument that was carried on in the 20th and 21st century with a number of double bass players.
What is the difference between a bass and a double bass?
The difference between a bass guitar and a double bass is that the bass guitar is smaller, it’s held perpendicular to the player’s body, it’s often amplified via a bass amplifier, and it’s played with fingers or a pick. Double basses are larger, they’re stood upright, and they can be played with a bow.
How much does a good double bass cost?
Hybrid double basses are ideal for those looking to spend less than $3000 on a double bass. Fully carved double basses are the most expensive, costing anywhere from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands.
What is a double bass tuned to?
The double bass is the only modern bowed string instrument that is tuned in fourths (like a bass guitar or viol), rather than fifths, with strings usually tuned to E1, A1, D2 and G2. In contrast, all other bowed chordophones are tuned to perfect fifths.
Who is the best bass player today?
The 10 best bassists in the world right now
- Michael Manring.
- Victor Brandt, Dimmu Borgir.
- Suzi Quatro.
- Ryan Madora, sessions.
- Scott Reeder, session star.
- Lee Sklar, session legend.
- Jeff Ament, Pearl Jam.
- Cliff Williams, AC/DC.
Who is the best upright bass player?
- 8: Charles Mingus.
- 7: Paul Chambers.
- 6: Jimmy Blanton.
- 5: Oscar Pettiford.
- 4: Ray Brown.
- 3: Ron Carter.
- 2: Stanley Clarke.
- 1: Jaco Pastorius. Topping our list of the 50 best jazz bassists is the mighty and inimitable Jaco Pastorius, who rose to fame in the 70s fusion supergroup Weather Report.
Can a double bass have 5 strings?
5 String Double Basses Double basses have existed in three, four, and five string configurations at different times and places. Paul Brun’s new history of the bass deals with the matter extensively.
Who is the best jazz bassist of all time?
Best Jazz Bass Players
- Ray Brown. Married to Ella Fitzgerald and performing in one of the greatest piano trios of all time, Ray Brown is surely one of the most legendary jazz bass players in history.
- Paul Chambers.
- Charles Mingus.
- Scott LaFaro.
- Ron Carter.
- Dave Holland.
- John Patitucci.
- Christian McBride.
Who plays a jazz bass?
Who Plays a Jazz Bass?
- Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna)
- Noel Redding (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)
- Larry Graham (Sly and the Family Stone)
- Herbie Flowers.
- Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake and Palmer)
- Jaco Pastorius (Weather Report)
- John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
Who made the double bass?
In 1542, Silvestro Ganassi developed a bass viola da gamba in Venice, which is often regarded as the “progenitor” of the double – bass. Its sloping shoulders, frets and six strings tuned mainly to fourths (D2, G2, C3, E3, A3, D4) indicate that low bowed instruments emerged originally from the gamba family.
How much does a good upright bass cost?
In the United States I’d say the current price of a reasonable beginner upright bass bought new would be around $1500USD. Less than that and you risk getting a “ bass shaped object”.
Can a bassist play double bass?
In answer to your question, yes you can probably play double bass but not in a way that a classically trained bassist would find attractive. If however, you just wish to jam with it, have fun.
Is a double bass lower than a bass guitar?
Nope. They are written an octave higher, but the actual pitch of the guitar is two octaves higher that that of bass. Scale length does not have anything to do with this. And bass guitar and double bass have the same pitch, and are notated the same way.